Paul van Gardingen, ESPA Director, represented the ESPA programme in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in June 2012 in the lead up to the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (UNCSD), Rio+20.
There were two main objectives for ESPA in Rio:
1. To raise the profile of ESPA within the communities of research, policy and practice who attended events at Rio;
2. To enhance the linkages of ESPA with other organisations and processes contributing to the Rio+20 process and follow-up.
The ESPA programme’s main contribution to Rio+20 was based around a side-event, as part of the IIED ‘Fair Ideas’ two-day conference, in advance of the main United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development meeting. The event was hosted by ESPA and was held jointly with the World Bank’s Wealth Accounting and Valuation of Ecosystem Services (WAVES) programme and the United Nations Poverty Environment Initiative (PEI).
A series of side meetings was also held in Rio, including:
- A meeting between ESPA, the United Nations Poverty Environment Initiative and the World Bank’s Wealth Accounting and Valuation of Ecosystem Services programme to discuss closer collaboration between the three programmes;
- A session as part the IIED Fair Ideas conference, led by the Bangladesh Centre for Advanced Studies (BCAS) on North-South and South-South Dialogue, in which Paul van Gardingen joined as a panel member;
- A meeting at the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP), on collaborative approaches to ESPA’s research agenda.
A brief report of ESPA's activities in Rio during June 2012 can be accessed here.